One of the jewels of Buzzards Bay located in historic Padanaram Harbor in Dartmouth, Massachusetts, the New Bedford Yacht Club offers its members, guests and cruising yachtsmen a respite from home and sea with good cheer, fellowship, friendship and camaraderie for yachting and boating enthusiasts of all ages.
The Club was formed in 1877 and is one of the oldest Yacht Clubs in America. It has a rich history and diverse membership with outstanding facilities, including a Clubhouse and Waterfront with docks, slips, launching facilities, harbor launch and fuel services.
The Clubhouse was built in 1901. It has a reading room known as the “Hammond Room” and Sailing School facility known as the “Rothschild Room” on the first level, with a restaurant known as “The Galley Restaurant” and tavern known as “Earle’s Place” on the second. The harbor view is second to none in the area and most other places.
Activities include an enviable Sailing School that was the start for many high school, collegiate and All American Sailors; an active Wednesday Night Racing Series and periodic perpetual trophy races for competitive sailors; a host of social events during the active summer and more limited winter seasons; and an Annual Cruise of a week or more with shorter cruising events during the summer season.
Total membership in several classes is just over 600. Membership is by application supported by the recommendations of other members. The Membership Committee is available to prospective members to make introductions and ease the application process.
Operations are overseen by elected officers, a Commodore, Vice Commodore, Rear Commodore, Treasurer and Secretary and a Board of Directors, which meets monthly throughout the year. Committees of volunteers handle events and other responsibilities. The permanent administrative staff includes our General Manager, Marilyn Sams; Administrative Assistant, Carol Clermont; Controller, Judy Golan; Dockmaster, Joe Cosme; and Property Management Staff, Chris Rezendes, Supervisor and Guido Medeiros.
The Annual Season begins with Commissioning in mid May and ends with Decomissioning in mid October. The Club is also open for Tavern Nights on Fridays and for other social events in the off-season. We observe the traditional Yacht Club National Ensign raising and lowering ceremony of “Colors” at 0800 and sunset, and we monitor VHF Channel 68 during the Annual Season.
Please call us at 508-997-0762 to arrange a visit.